Parent Involvement in Education
The Board of Education believes that the education of each student is a responsibility shared by the school as well as parents. The Board recognizes the need for a constructive partnership between the district and parents that provides for two-way communication and fosters educational support for students and parents. In this policy, the word ďparentĒ also includes guardians and other members of a studentís family involved in the studentís education.
In keeping with these beliefs, it is the intention of the district to cultivate and support active parental involvement and to set and realize goals for parent-supported student learning.
To that end all district schools shall:
1. Consult with and encourage parents to share in school planning and in the setting of objectives through participating in school accountability committees.
2. Help parents understand the educational process and their role in supporting student achievement through regular, meaningful communication.
3. Inform parents of school choices and learning opportunities within the district, including but not limited to, information on open enrollment, choice programs and charter school options.
4. Provide opportunities for parents to be informed about their studentís progress toward attaining proficiency on state and district content standards through written materials and public meetings. Information shall explain how the studentís progress will be measured and how parents will be informed of such progress. This information shall also be provided to the school and district accountability committees.
5. Provide appropriate avenues for parents to find support in their role.
6. Encourage formal organizations for parents at each school building as well as at the district level. The organizations shall receive information concerning district and school activities and shall have opportunities for input into district decisions as appropriate.
The Board also recognizes the special importance of parental involvement to the success of its Title I, Migrant Education Program (MEP), and Limited English Proficiency (LEP) programs and directs the superintendent to ensure that the district and schools jointly develop with parents written parent involvement policies that meet the requirements of federal law.
Adoption date: Sept. 22, 2014
LEGAL REFS.: † 20 U.S.C. ß6301 et seq. (No Child Left Behind Act of 2001)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Title I, Part A, Section 1118 (Title I parent involvement requirements)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Title I, Part A, Section 1114 (b)(1)(F) (Schoolwide Reform Program must include strategies to increase parent involvement)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Title I, Part A, Section 1115 (c)(1)(g) (Targeted Assistance Program must include parent involvement strategies)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Title I, Part A, Section 1116 (a)(1)(D) (school districts receiving Title I funds must review effectiveness of parent involvement actions and activities at schools)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Title I, Part F, Section 1606 (a)(7) (Comprehensive School Reform Grant Program parent involvement requirements)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Title II, Part A, Section (a)(3)(B)(IV) (preparing and training for highly qualified teachers and principals Grant Program parent involvement provisions)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Title I, Part A, Section 1112 (g) (parent involvement and notifications in districts using Title I funds to provide language instruction to limited English proficient students)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Title I, Part C, Section 1304 (b)(3) (parent involvement and notifications in districts using Title I funds for the education of migratory children)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Title I, Part A, Section 1114 (b)(2) (eligible school that desires to operate a schoolwide program must develop a comprehensive reform plan)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C.R.S. 8-13.3-101 et seq. (leave for parental involvement in academic activities)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C.R.S. 22-7-301 et seq. (measures to increase parental involvement in public education)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C.R.S. 22-7-407 (5) (informing parents about standards-based education)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C.R.S. 22-30.5-109 (publicity regarding educational options)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C.R.S. 22-32-142 (1) and (3) (encouraging parental involvement policy and authorizing solicitation and use of gifts, grants and donations to implement parent involvement programs)
CROSS REFS.:† ADA, School District Goals and Objectives
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† AE, Accountability/Commitment to Accomplishments
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† AEA, Standards Based Education
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† IA, Instructional Goals and Learning Objectives
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† IHBIB, Primary/Preprimary Education
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† IL, Evaluation of Instructional Programs
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† ILBA, District Program Assessments
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† ILBB, State Program Assessments
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† KBA, District Title I Parent Involvement Policy
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† KD, Public Information and Communications