Code of Conduct
The principal may suspend or recommend expulsion of a student who engages in one or more of the following activities while in school buildings, on district property, when being transported in vehicles dispatched by the district or one of its schools, during a school-sponsored or district-sponsored activity or event and off school property when the conduct has a nexus to school or any district curricular or non-curricular event.
1. Causing or attempting to cause damage to school property or stealing or attempting to steal school property of value.
2. Causing or attempting to cause damage to private property or stealing or attempting to steal private property.
3. Commission of any act which if committed by an adult would be robbery or assault as defined by state law.
4. Committing extortion, coercion or blackmail, i.e., obtaining money or other objects of value from an unwilling person or forcing an individual to act through the use of force or threat of force.
5. Engaging in verbal abuse, i.e., name calling, ethnic or racial slurs, or derogatory statements addressed publicly to others that precipitate disruption of the school program or incite violence.
6. Engaging in ďhazingĒ activities, i.e., forcing prolonged physical activity, forcing excessive consumption of any substance, forcing prolonged deprivation of sleep, food, or drink, or any other behavior which recklessly endangers the health or safety of an individual for purposes of initiation into any student group.
7. Violation of the districtís policy on bullying prevention and education.
8. Violation of criminal law which has an immediate effect on the school or on the general safety or welfare of students or staff.
9. Violation of district policy or building regulations.
10. Violation of the district's policy on weapons in the schools. Expulsion shall be mandatory for using or possessing a firearm, in accordance with federal law.
11. Violation of the district's alcohol use/drug abuse policy.
12. Violation of the districtís violent and aggressive behavior policy.
13. Violation of the district's tobacco-free school policy.
14. Violation of the districtís policy on sexual harassment.
15. Violation of the districtís policy on nondiscrimination.
16. Violation of the districtís dress code policy.
17. Throwing objects, unless part of a supervised school activity, that can cause bodily injury or damage property.
18. Directing profanity, vulgar language or obscene gestures toward other students, school personnel or visitors to the school.
19. Lying or giving false information, either verbally or in writing, to a school employee.
20. Scholastic dishonesty which includes but is not limited to cheating on a test, plagiarism or unauthorized collaboration with another person in preparing written work.
21. Making a false accusation of criminal activity against a district employee to law enforcement or to the district.
22. Behavior on or off school property which is detrimental to the welfare or safety of other students or school personnel.
23. Repeated interference with the schoolís ability to provide educational opportunities to other students.
24. Continued willful disobedience or open and persistent defiance of proper authority including deliberate refusal to obey a member of the school staff.
Adoption date: September 22, 2014
LEGAL REFS.:††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C.R.S. 18-3-202 et seq. (offenses against person)
††††††††††††††††††††††† C.R.S. 18-4-301 et seq. (offenses against property)
††††††††††††††††††††††† C.R.S. 18-9-124 (2)(a) (prohibition of hazing)
††††††††††††††††††††††† C.R.S. 18-18-102 (5) (definition of controlled substance)
††††††††††††††††††††††† C.R.S. 22-12-105 (3) (authority to suspend or expel for false accusations)
††††††††††††††††††††††† C.R.S. 22-32-109.1 (2)(a)(I) (policy required as part of safe schools plan)
††††††††††††††††††††††† C.R.S. 22-32-109.1 (2)(a)(I)(A) (duty to adopt policies on student conduct, safety and welfare)
††††††††††††††††††††††† C.R.S. 22-32-109.1 (9) (immunity provisions in safe schools law)
††††††††††††††††††††††† C.R.S. 22-33-106 (1)(a-g) (grounds for suspension, expulsion, denial of admission)
CROSS REFS.: AC, Nondiscrimination/Equal Opportunity
††††††††††††††††††††††† ADC, Tobacco-Free Schools
††††††††††††††††††††††† ADD, Safe Schools
††††††††††††††††††††††† ECAC, Vandalism
††††††††††††††††††††††† GBGB, Staff Personal Security and Safety
††††††††††††††††††††††† JBB*, Sexual Harassment
††††††††††††††††††††††† JIC, Student Conduct
††††††††††††††††††††††† JICA, Student Dress Code
††††††††††††††††††††††† JICC, Student Conduct in School Vehicles
††††††††††††††††††††††† JICDD*, Violent and Aggressive Behavior
††††††††††††††††††††††† JICDE*, Bullying Prevention and Education
††††††††††††††††††††††† JICF, Secret Societies/Gang Activity
††††††††††††††††††††††† JICH, Drug and Alcohol Use by Students
††††††††††††††††††††††† JICI, Weapons in School
††††††††††††††††††††††† JK, Student Discipline
††††††††††††††††††††††† JKD/JKE, Suspension/Expulsion of Students