Equal Educational Opportunities
Every student of this school district shall have equal educational opportunities through programs offered in the school district regardless of race, color, ancestry, creed, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, marital status, disability or need for special education services.
This concept of equal educational opportunity shall guide the Board and staff in making decisions related to school district facilities, selection of educational materials, equipment, curriculum and regulations affecting students. Students with identified physical and mental impairments that constitute disabilities shall be provided with a free appropriate public education, consistent with the requirements of federal and state laws and regulations.
In order to ensure that district programs are in compliance with applicable laws and regulations, the Board directs the superintendent or designee(s) to periodically monitor the following areas:
1. Curriculum and materials – review curriculum guides, textbooks and supplemental materials for discriminatory bias.
2. Training – provide training for students and staff to identify and alleviate problems of discrimination.
3. Student access – review programs, activities and practices to ensure that all students have equal access and are not segregated except when permissible by law or regulation.
4. District support – ensure that district resources are equitably distributed among school programs including but not limited to staffing and compensation, facilities, equipment and related matters.
5. Student evaluation instruments – review tests, procedures and guidance and counseling materials for stereotyping and discrimination.
6. Discipline – review discipline records and any relevant data to ensure the equitable implementation and application of Board discipline policies.
Adoption date: September 22, 2014
LEGAL REFS.: 20 U.S.C. §1681 (Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972)
20 U.S.C. §1701-1758 (Equal Educational Opportunities Act of 1974)
29 U.S.C. §701 et seq. (Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973)
C.R.S. 2-4-401 (13.5) (definition of sexual orientation)
C.R.S. 22-32-109 (1)(ll) (Board duty to adopt written policies prohibiting discrimination)
C.R.S 22-32-109.1 (2) (safe school plan to be revised as necessary in response to relevant data collected by the school district)
C.R.S. 24-34-601 (unlawful discrimination in places of public accommodation)
C.R.S. 24-34-602 (penalty and civil liability for unlawful discrimination)
CROSS REFS.: AC, Nondiscrimination/Equal Opportunity
JBB*, Sexual Harassment