Library Materials Selection and Adoption
Materials for school libraries shall be recommended for purchase by the professional personnel of the libraries and approved by the superintendent or designee. Library personnel shall consult with the administration, faculty, students and parents in selecting materials.
All library materials shall be selected in accordance with the principles pertaining to selection of all instructional materials. Library materials shall support the district’s educational objectives.
Additionally, in maintaining and augmenting school library collections, persons responsible for selection of materials shall strive:
1. To meet the needs of the individual school based on knowledge of the curriculum and the stated needs of administrators and teachers.
2. To meet the needs of individual students, according to both the stated needs of students and general understanding of students' interest.
3. To provide materials of high artistic, historic and literary quality.
4. To provide a balanced collection, with a fair proportion of each type of material selected to meet the needs of the curriculum, the students and professional staff at all levels.
5. To provide a wide range of materials with diversity of appeal and different points of view.
In order to maintain a current and highly usable collection of materials, library personnel shall provide for continuing renewal of the collection, not only by adding up-to-date materials but also by the judicious elimination of materials which no longer meet needs.
Gifts to the library may be accepted if they meet the criteria established for the selection of instructional materials.
All instructional resources and materials, including library materials, shall be available for inspection by parents and guardians.
Adoption date: Sept. 22, 2014
LEGAL REFS.: 20 U.S.C. §1232h (protection of pupil rights)
C.R.S. 22-32-110 (1)(r)
CROSS REFS.: IJ, Instructional Resources and Materials
KEC, Public Concerns/Complaints about Instructional Resources