Instructional Resources and Materials
As the governing body of the school district, the Board is legally responsible for the selection of all instructional materials.† Since the Board is a policymaking body, it delegates to professional personnel of the district the authority for the selection of instructional and library materials in accordance with this policy.
Materials for school classrooms and school libraries shall be selected by the appropriate professional personnel in consultation with the administration, faculty and students.† Final decision on purchase shall rest with the superintendent or designee, subject to adoption by the Board.† All instructional resources and materials shall support the districtís educational objectives, including that all students meet or exceed state and district content standards.
The Board believes that it is the responsibility of the district to:
1. Provide materials that will enrich and support the curriculum and personal needs of the users, taking into consideration the varied interests, abilities, learning styles and age.
2. Provide materials that will stimulate growth in factual knowledge, literary appreciation, aesthetic values and ethical standards.
3. Provide a background of information which will enable students to make intelligent judgments in their daily lives.
4. Provide materials on opposing sides of controversial issues so that users may develop, under guidance, the practice of critical analysis.
5. Provide materials which realistically represent our pluralistic society and reflect the contributions made by all groups and individuals to our American heritage.
6. Place principle above personal opinion and reason above prejudice in the selection of materials of the highest quality in order to ensure a comprehensive media collection appropriate for the users.
The above principles, from the School Library Bill of Rights, shall serve as a guide in the selection of all instructional and library materials.
All instructional resources and materials shall be available for inspection by parents/guardians.
Adoption date: Sept. 22, 2014
LEGAL REFS.:†† 20 U.S.C. 1232h (protection of pupil rights)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C.R.S. 22-1-104 (2)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C.R.S. 22-32-109 (1)(t)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C.R.S. 22-32-110 (1)(o),(p),(q),(r)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† C.R.S. 22-54-105 (1)
CROSS REFS.:†† DB, Annual Budget, and subcodes
†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† IJJ, Textbook Selection and Adoption
†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† IJK, Supplementary Materials Selection and Adoption
†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† IJL, Library Materials Selection and Adoption
†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† IMB, Teaching about Controversial/Sensitive Issues
†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† KEC, Public Concerns/Complaints about Instructional Resources