Title I Paraprofessionals
A Title I paraprofessional is an individual who provides instructional support for students in a Title I Schoolwide or Targeted Assistance Program.
Title I paraprofessionals may perform the following instructional support duties:
· One-on-one tutoring for eligible students if the tutoring is scheduled at a time when the student would not ordinarily be receiving instruction from the regular teacher
· Assist in classroom management
· Conduct parent involvement activities
· Assist in computer instruction
· Provide instructional support in a library or media center
· Act as a translator
· Provide instructional support services under the direct supervision of qualified teachers
Title I paraprofessionals may assume limited non-instructional duties, even if they benefit non-Title I students, in the same proportion to their total work time as non-Title I paraprofessionals.
Title I paraprofessionals do not include individuals who have only non-instructional duties such as providing technical support for computers, providing personal care services or performing clerical duties.
Title I paraprofessionals, regardless of hiring date, must have earned a secondary school diploma or its recognized equivalent (except for those who act as translators to enhance the participation of limited English proficient students or whose activities consist solely of conducting parent involvement activities).
Title I paraprofessionals hired after January 8, 2002 must have:
1. Completed at least two years of study at an institution of higher education or obtained an associate’s or higher degree; or
2. Demonstrated through a formal local academic assessment the knowledge of and ability to assist in instructing, as appropriate:
a. Reading/language arts, writing and mathematics; or
b. Reading readiness, writing readiness, and mathematics readiness.
Notice to parents
An annual written notice shall be provided to parents of students enrolled in a Title I Schoolwide or Targeted Assistance Program telling them they may request information about any paraprofessionals who provide instructional support for their child. The notice may be combined with a notice regarding Title I teacher qualifications.
Adoption date: Sept. 22, 2014
LEGAL REFS.: 20 U.S.C. 6319 (paraprofessional requirements under No Child Left Behind Act of 2001)
34 C.F.R. 200.58, 200.59 (federal regulations related to paraprofessional qualifications)
CROSS REFS.: GDA, Support Staff Positions
GDE/GDF, Support Staff Recruiting/Hiring