Code of Ethics for School Board Members
As a member of my local board of education, I will strive to improve public education and to that end I will:
· Attend all regularly scheduled board meetings insofar as possible and become informed concerning the issues to be considered at those meetings.
· Recognize that I should endeavor to make policy decisions only after full discussion at publicly held board meetings.
· Render all decisions based on the available facts and my independent judgment and refuse to surrender that judgment to individuals or special interest groups.
· Encourage the free expression of opinion by all board members and seek systematic communications between the board and students, staff and all elements of the community.
· Work with other board members to establish effective board policies and to delegate authority for the administration of the schools to the superintendent.
· Communicate to other board members and the superintendent expressions of public reaction to board policies and school programs.
· Inform myself about current educational issues by individual study and through participation in programs providing needed information, such as those sponsored by my state and national school boards associations.
· Support the employment of those persons best qualified to serve as school staff and insist on a regular and impartial evaluation of all staff.
· Avoid being placed in a position of conflict of interest and refrain from using my board position for personal or partisan gain.
· Take no private action that will compromise the board or administration and respect the confidentiality of information that is privileged under applicable laws.
· Remember always that my first and greatest concern must be the educational welfare of the students attending the public schools.
Issue Date: September 22, 2014
South Conejos School District RE 10 1 of 1